Today, I will share an extremely important topic. I never thought that there would be a need to share this kind of topic until I witnessed how it remains existing nowadays and how rare this topic is being discussed in the community where I live and perhaps even in many communities where Muslims live. This is an extremely important topic because when we get sick we look for people who can help us. If we don’t have the knowledge of this topic then without us knowing we may go to the wrong people and end up disobeying Allah . It is important that we have the knowledge of the signs of a magician or people who seek the assistance of the jinn so to recognize who are the right people to go to in times of need.
Be aware that magicians don’t usually look like how the movies or society portray them. There are religious people, imams, da’ee, maulana, ustadh, etc who practice magic. So, don’t be confused. There are cases that people go to these people who claim they have the ability to cure by doing ruqyah but actually they are performing acts that are forbidden in Islam.
I even accidentally met pain healers, fortune tellers, magicians or those who seek assistance from jinn. It’s alarming seeing great number of Muslims believing and asking help from such people for assistance, cure and other worldly reasons. Some already know that it is an act of disbelief, that it is a form of shirk yet they still do it. May Allah make us not among those kind of people. Truly, Allah won’t forgive people who perform shirk. There are also who are clueless about it. They think it’s the right form of ruqyah (healing) or that the people who are doing the ruqyah on them are the right people. May Allah guide them and grant them more knowledge. It is due to the lack of knowledge about what makes a person a magician, and what acts fall under the shirk that make these people go to the wrong people. So on this post, I will share two things so for us to be rightly guided in shaa Allah: (1) the factors that make a ruqyah valid or according to the shariah and (2) the signs of a magician or someone who work with a jinn.
3 conditions that make a ruqyah according to the shariah:
It is important to know that there are three conditions of ruqyah to be according the shariah. If any of these conditions isn’t fulfilled, then the ruqyah is considered shirk. It is important to take note of these so you can observe the person claiming himself a raqee (person who does ruqyah), if he does ruqyah according to the shariah or not.
- Anything that is recited should be from the book of Allah or the Sunnah of the Prophet such as dua or dhikr. So if the person is creating noises or uttering verses that are unusual and calling names other than the names of Allah , then walk away from him.
- Anything that is recited should be in audible tone so you can hear what the person is reciting. If he whispers or if he prefers staying in a room alone then ask him to recite in audible tone in front of you or walk away from him.
- The third condition is in you. You should believe that the cure is not with him, the raqee, rather he is just a means that Allah placed to seek help and cure from Allah alone. You should believe that the cure is only from Allah .
The signs of a magician or someone who work with a jinn:
- Asking the patient’s name and his mother’s name
- Asking for a patient’s trace such as his hair, or his picture, and the like vomit, urine, feces,blood, sperm, pre-sperm, vaginal extracts, clothes, or belongings
- Using strange signs, symbols, unknown words and other unfamiliar methods.
- Giving different amulets, written on them numbers, letters, shapes, unknown words and names of jinn like Kashmahir and Hamshush, Quranic verses with missing parts or letters that could also be written upside down or include drawings of snakes and scorpions, especially what is called ”The Seven Solomon Testaments”
- Blowing into the water or other with unknown word and signs
- Using thread and rope knots on which they blow strange words
- Using frankincense to call for the devils or hearing strange sounds such as bird wings or knocking
- Dirtiness of the place used by the magician who is generally filthy himself
- Retreating to a dark room to talk with the devils that help him with his evil doings
- Asking for blaspheme acts such as slaughtering black chicken and sheep without mentioning the name of Allah .
- Using the patients by asking them for large sums of money, and I heard of people who paid them enormous amounts of money. There are some who would ask for any other material things instead of money such as food, rice, gifts, accessories, etc.
- Privacy with women regardless of any religious laws or morals, and which might lead to adultery, God Forbid. There are many incidents where such things actually took place.
- Asking for acts that the Prophet has forbidden such as cutting of the Sidr tree or the frog.
- Using a pot or container for the amulets and blaspheme sayings and also seeking the help of jinn and devils whom they claim aid them in undoing the magic. They also claim that there are servants for the Samadeya and Ahdeya and similar claims of the false Sufism.
- Doing strange acts such as using the rope measurement, as they claim that if the rope lengthens then the victim is afflicted with an evil eye and if it shortens, then the patient is under the effect of magic. Similar strange behaviors are done regarding other issues or matters.
- Using dirtiness such as urine and menstruation blood and give it to men or women in the form of food or drink, or writing verses from the Quran on such dirty substances. Some of the diviners enter the bathroom and steps on the Quran or urinate on it or do other acts of blaspheme to please the devils.
- They advise patients to seclude for a certain period of time in a room into which no sun enters.
- They ask patients not to touch the water for a period that could last for 40 days.
- They ask the patient to bury some things in the ground, or sprinkle certain liquids, or place rotten egg on the threshold of doors. In such cases, the magician has blown magic spells with his evil breath into these things.
- They might give the patient some papers to burn and to incense with it.
- He could write unclear words on paper and ask the patient to dissolve it in water and then drink it.
- Tell the patient real facts and information about his private life and his relationship with people around him, which he got from the jinn and devils.
- The magicians show signs of blaspheme such as shaving the beard, wearing long gowns; grow his mustache, and laziness in performing the Friday prayer, in addition to other things.
- Knowing your past. Without you knowing them, or seeing them from before, they begin to tell you about things that happened to you in the past that only you know or your closest family members may know. This is a trick from the Shaitan as all Jinns see each other like we see each other. The magician sends Jinns to inquire about your history after knowing your name and mothers name, and are given traces of you. Then these Jinns begin to interview the Jinn that Jinn that has accompanied you for your entire life.
By knowing these, you will be guided to whom you should go to and to whom you should stay away from when you need help. It is extremely important to know these or else you may end up going to the wrong people and you may end up disbelieving Allah . Engaging to anything related to magic is a shirk which is a serious matter because Allah says that He will forgive any sins except shirk or associating others with Allah . Since magic involves calling and asking help from other than Allah , then it is considered shirk which is a major sin.
Keep sharing this knowledge because in reality there are so many in our community who go to these magicians for help, and they end up disbelieving Allah . Keep observing even in your own family or home because sometimes they may go to to individuals who claim themselves doing ruqyah according to shariah but actually not.
May Allah guide us to the right path and protect us from any form of harm.